Welcome to The Controls Freak Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AutoCAD for electrical drawings. Excel for points lists. Delta OrcaView Illustrator Mode for system layouts. Yes, OrcaView. We draw the graphics, put the point IDs on as text boxes, print them out as shop drawings, and link them later. Works great, only have to draw the systems once.

I mostly worked for consulting engineering companies where the coordination of all building services beforehand was a project money saver for large industrial and commercial projects. Thats why MagiCAD was very helpful, especially with the space-occupying mechanical services. Everything done in 3D (and quickly, at that) reduced installation time and last minute problem solving 'head to heads'. Easy made and automaticallly generated cut sections on request showed the installation heights of all services at main junctions. This was a big deal, as not every discipline is on site at the same time. All schematics though, were either AutoCAD or Visio

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    I mostly worked for consulting engineering companies where the coordination of all building services beforehand was a project money saver for large industrial and commercial projects. Thats why MagiCAD was very helpful, especially with the space-occupying mechanical services. Everything done in 3D (and quickly, at that) reduced installation time and last minute problem solving 'head to heads'. Easy made and automaticallly generated cut sections on request showed the installation heights of all services at main junctions. This was a big deal, as not every discipline is on site at the same time. All schematics though, were either AutoCAD or Visio
    MagiCAD any idea what that software Costs? How easy is it to build things in 3D?

cgray,

One other piece of t software you could take a look at it is DraftSight. It is a free CAD program that is cross platform.

I do use layers on my control schematics because I like being able to keep my wires color coded and keep controllers on different layers. This way I can turn things off and on if needed.

Brian

We had a company license but I think it's roughly 5-7000 US dollars for an individual license. I found it easy enough to use. You draw in 2D and specify heights above/below zero reference or floor number as you go along.

I use Draftsight and Visio, depending on the complexity of the job. Also experimenting with LucidChart. Visio is great for also creating simple views that we then use as the background for status / control panels:
    Untitled.jpg
    Principal, Vermont Energy Control Systems LLC
    Principal, BetterBoxNow.com
    Watch my system live: Vesta Control Panel

for the most part part i do not use drawing software for anything more complex than flow diagrams!
    due to the limitations of the programs i have little patience for them.(I'm a grumpy old fart)!
    second I am a highly skilled drafts-man and quite an artist with my drafting sets, and can complete complex diagrams and blueprints with a lot less hassle.
    if they need to be stored on computer then they can easily be scanned.
    or on rare occasions i will use a digitiser tablet.
    I'm not anti-social
    I'm anti- stupid

if they need to be stored on computer then they can easily be scanned.