Welcome to The Controls Freak Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed.

Heat exchanger along with district cooling plant

I have seen the basic overview for the district cooling plant, I noticed that the heat exchanger were not included in the cycle? Could any one explain why we use Heat exchangers? Also the best location for it? Is it between chiller and cooling tower or between chiller and AHU?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Enghaitham View Post
    I have seen the basic overview for the district cooling plant, I noticed that the heat exchanger were not included in the cycle? Could any one explain why we use Heat exchangers? Also the best location for it? Is it between chiller and cooling tower or between chiller and AHU?
    thanks
    heat exchangers are used to efficiently transfer heat from one medium to another without cross contaminating either
    air type exchangers are not as efficient as per the tendency to clog with dust and debris.
    liquid transfer systems are more efficient in heat absorption. making them more suitable for thermal transfer.
    the downside is that the system must be frequently inspected and tested for leakage.
    in some instances heat exchangers are designed with three stages
    hybrid exchangers transfer from liquid medium to air
    two good examples: one is the heater core in your vehicle. it transfers heat from the cooling system of the vehicle into the air circulated through the heating system. and two is the ac unit. in a car the waste heat of the cooling system is used to evaporate the refrigerant in the ac system the result of the rapid evaporation is an extreme drop in its temperature.
    this same process is used in a home or office ac.(these use the heat in the air of the room they are set up to cool).
    and the same with your refrigerator
    I'm not anti-social
    I'm anti- stupid