Welcome to The Controls Freak Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed.

Post DOSBOX and De-Fend Reloaded - Getting around the serial port issue

I don't know about you, but the disappearance of the 9-pin com port has been an issue for me. Yes, there are USB to serial adapters - some better than others, but there are problems making them work with legacy ( aka old as dirt) applications. The use of DOSBOX and De-Fend reloaded can be a big help. DOSBOX does the heavy lifting and De-Fend is a front end for DOSBOX and while not strictly necessary it makes things easier. The combination of the two enabled me to get Staefa PC Tool to work on a Windows 7 computer which is a big help as the Smart II hand tools are getting scarce. Here is a link to the tutorial for DOSBOX, and it has a link for De-Fend. The real reason these exist is to enable people to play those old DOS games, but it works for me. You may have a legacy app it will work with too. http://www.howtogeek.com/104725/how-...-and-old-apps/

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by shezams View Post
    IThe combination of the two enabled me to get Staefa PC Tool to work on a Windows 7 computer which is a big help as the Smart II hand tools are getting scarce.
    Im going to have to check this out im new to the Staefa but i know that we have 2 OLD OLD dinosaur machine that our techs have to share that are still running windows 98 so that they can still use the Staefa Software.

I can offer some insight into MS1800 and Smart II - we still have quite a few, and while it is for certain old tech, it does work pretty well.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by shezams View Post
    I can offer some insight into MS1800 and Smart II - we still have quite a few, and while it is for certain old tech, it does work pretty well.
    So if you are running windows 7 and you can run the MS1800 software do you have any site that have remote access through a Modem. If so how are you connecting a Modem to a newer PC?

MS1800, Smart II and PC Tool

DFEND Reloaded with PC Tool and the right cable and pinout rj12 to serial adapter with a serial to usb converter will work at the card level, and can take the place of the hand tool most of the time, as long as it is a Smart II Card. MS1800 will work at a field controller / node level. On our campus our Nodes all have IP connections, so we can create a sites file with that all specified. On campus we also have a server - an old UNIX box - that is connected to all of them. If I remote from home it is over the ethernet, with a VPN and into a single building's network - on campus via the server you can see all the buildings without having to individually connect.We are taking some of the SMII buildings, using staefa drivers on JACES but you still need to be able to talk locally to the card, if only for ensuring you have decent local values,calibration, etc. The old bricks are getting harder to come by, and time has taken its toll on many. PCTOOL is helpful when you can't get your hands on a tool. MS1800 V2.1 will run on WIN 7, but I do not know about making it work with a modem, as our sites have ethernet anymore. On a local level you hook up to host a or b on the FC with a straight cable and a different RJ12 to serial converter and a usb to serial adapter.

i know this is a zombie thread but i thought I'd add I use dosemu with elementary linux to program some old moore thermostatic controls. via a modified usb cable!
    I dont use anything with micro sith winhosed in it (too many years of cleaning up the mess caused by crappy software)
    I'm not anti-social
    I'm anti- stupid

Quote Originally Posted by gnuuser View Post
    I use dosemu with elementary linux to program some old moore thermostatic controls. via a modified usb cable!
    I dont use anything with micro sith winhosed in it)

of course this cranks our engineer off a bit (hes an avid windows fanboy and says he hs no use for linux)
    I'm not anti-social
    I'm anti- stupid