Welcome to The Controls Freak Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed.

overcoming hurdles

facilities management is something of a sticky proposal that warrants customising a management procedure that is both effective and efficient.
    while most business schools focus on production improvement they do not address the true aspects of teamwork.

its a difficult hurdle to overcome because most problems stem from peer grouping and non-familial, and familial nepotism,
    inadequate and non-standardized training, prejudiced and avaricious behaviour.

you can have all the degrees and diplomas in the world! But if you do not have the common sense to go with it, you are a detriment to the progression of the company
    this is one of the hardest hurdles to overcome because these types of people automatically assume an overly arrogant attitude and they refuse to see that they may be the biggest problem.

many managers (especially those in a company that issues production based bonuses) will concentrate on increasing production numbers by lowering quality standards, approving and shipping sub-standard and inferior or questionable products regardless of the requirements of the customer.
    assuming that their assigned task's and departments do not keep them occupied enough they tend to compete for bonuses with other managers and invariably tamper with things they have no authority over.
    often they will tamper with equipment such as increasing speeds, adjusting timers, and decreasing sensitivity of inspection equipment in order to pass questionable product through counters. (increased production statistics = bigger bonus)

all in all the other employees and the customers suffer for their ignorant behaviour.

saving budget is an admirable idea but if the ideas jeopardise the capabilities of the employees and safety of the customers it does very little good and a lot more harm to the company.

efficiency is a hard goal to attain but an easy one to perpetuate.
    proper, thorough, and standardised training makes your employees safer, faster, more conscientious, and far more efficient.
    all these traits make for better moral, employees take pride in their work!
    a respectful workplace is far more productive, and in the long run far more profitable.

maintaining an adequate supply of needed materials and replacement parts is a must, and replacement parts need to be strategically located and easily accessible.
    coupled with superlatively trained personnel having the parts on hand and easily acquired dramatically decreases the amount of downtime that occurs.
    this is not only efficient but is in fact common sense
    I'm not anti-social
    I'm anti- stupid

don't get me wrong on this Im not totally against percentage based bonuses, as they can indeed spur a facility to produce more!
    my only problem with it is that there is such a large potential for abuse.
    so its a very risky venture if undertaken without full knowledge of all possible scenarios
    I'm not anti-social
    I'm anti- stupid