Welcome to The Controls Freak Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed.

Thread: R&D is crucial

R&D is crucial

in designing a system R&D is a crucial aspect.
    one cannot design a control system with out it.
    actually seeing the environment, measuring all dimensions, taking into consideration all scenarios, and properly documenting each is vital to properly engineering a system.
    purchasing a conveyor for instance.
    you can indeed purchase a stock conveyor and install it with all the controls needed
    but if you do not research all the dimensions required there is a 50/50 chance that the conveyor will be too small and unsuitable for the task.
    this reflects poorly on your reputation and competence.
    take into consideration possible future upgrade and prepare the panels for it (believe me you wont be sorry you did)
    the cost savings alone will be worth it if you are prepared for the upgrades
    I'm not anti-social
    I'm anti- stupid

I agree. I have seen systems purchased, installed and commissioned without any verification of local and national codes being addressed. Only to have it ripped out and redone at a very high cost. Best develop a check list that you always consult when designing the system Many time when you approach a manufacturer for design help they will many times ask you the appropriate required information to determine the best approach to finding out what you need.
    Consulting their tech support departments is suggested.
    Some companies such as ICPDAS-USA do not charge for tech support in picking out products for an application. Some do. SO BE CAREFUL !
    Over time you can add to your check list and consult it every time a system is designed. Also when dealing with manufacturers or distributors, you might ask for a POC (Proof of Concept)
    Visiting Forums such as this one is also a good place to pick up things you should consider in your design.

sadly the ongoing trend of most factories is to phase out R&D as a redundant and useless expenditure in favour of slapdash decisions expecting everything to be perfect out of the box.
    is it any wonder why many go under because of this idealism.
    accountants are good for keeping accurate records, but they make lousy managers in industry. an individual who is good at speculating and perceives what his/her decision can and will effect is by far a better manager. and one hell of a lot more efficient.
    a good R&D department will gather, organize, all information and provide nearly all possible scenarios within a given parameter, and a manager who relies heavily on the info will make better judgement calls.
    tech support is a wonderful tool but it is also limited by the information given to them, if a customer withholds information then the tech support is hindered in its ability to provide a suitably correct solution.
    I'm not anti-social
    I'm anti- stupid

At ICPDAS-USA we encourage our customers to send us an application that may need a new product developed. We have many engineers in product development coming with new designs based on findings in their R&D phase. It is R&D that produces new solutions and products. Need to check feasibility before market introduction. Also you need R&D to see what limits a product may have and under what conditions those limits are met.