Welcome to The Controls Freak Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed.

Administrator

Which certifications do you feel are important to someone in the Controls Industry?

There are so many certifications, designations and three or four letter acronyms you can get after your name, but which ones really have any merit to someone in the Controls Industry?

I know I have had my eye on the CEM designation offered by The Association of Energy Engineers. But that takes some schooling and/or a long stretch of practical, on-the-job experience. One day maybe...

LEED certifications are high on alot of peoples's lists... what about you?

Certifications

I am always happy for any training my work will provide. I am looking to get the Niagara AX / Tridium training this Spring and hope to get the ALC Engineering Class in the not too distant future. Knowing your way around these two systems and having a piece of paper to that effect can't hurt.

At my company everyone has at least an Electronics Technician diploma from a community college, unless they are a high school or college co-op student.
    Some (me included) have Technologist diplomas.
    Most are also licensed or apprentice Electricians.
    One is a Master Electrician.
    One is a Mechnical Engineer and LEED AP.
    One is an Electrical Engineer and Electronics Technologist with Biomedical certificate.
    None are a CET (similar to CEM in the US).

Our hiring practices have pretty much required that you be a current student. We rarely hire a fresh graduate who hasn't worked for us before. We like to train people from the ground up. In the last few years we've had really good luck with the high school co-op program; the good ones get hired for the summer, then end up either going to college and working for us, or signing up as apprentices with us. The bad ones, well we didn't have to pay them, no loss except for fixing their mistakes :P

I think there are many industries which prefer CCST certification.