Welcome to The Controls Freak Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed.

Administrator

Question How can TCF be better?

So, I am at a lull where I wonder how I can help TCF help you or anyone else that comes across the site. What kind of information is most useful?

Is there something currently wrong with the site that needs to be changed? or just some things that should be added?

Some changes are slow coming only because the site thrives on new content and though I have had some recent help from tekWorx and Dave Craven contributing articles, I am still left with the task of adding new content as my main focus. There are a lot of other things that could use some attention, but putting out more informative content is the focus for now.

What do you think?

More content would be better - perhaps getting a few other folks to write articles for the site could help. I know how busy life gets, and having time to share knowledge can be challenging. I like how you included an article on home automation, and with how universal controls are becoming now, maybe it would be a big draw to get someone that can contribute articles that mix both the commercial controls and home controls realms. I do quite a bit of this stuff at my house, and would be interested in submitting blog posts or articles every now and then.

One of the sites I visit on a fairly regular basis is buildlog.net - Its a site where the owner has a fairly vibrant community developing, mainly around folks posting build logs of things they are currently tinkering with. Granted, he has a couple of his products that the site is set up to provide support for, so that's part of the draw, but there's all kinds of different build logs on projects across the spectrum. Maybe incorporating something like that into this site could help draw traffic. Make a forum for people to post their projects in, and then port the new posts from that forum to the front page or something. Who knows, just an idea.

Anyhow, hope that helps.

Administrator
    Thanks for the suggestion... Home Automation and Arduino Projects etc are definitely cool and have a huge following/fan base. But I don't think The Controls Freak needs to go that direction. Unless some really passionate person cam along and said they wanted to run that side of things and use TCF as their pet project.

I have my work cut out for me just trying to get people to contribute articles for the Commercial HVAC and Building Automation Industry, not to mention Lighting Controls, Elevator Controls, Mechanical Systems, Access Controls, Air Balance, Industrial Automation, Process Controls etc.

I think Home Automation has plenty or resources as it is and I would like to keep The Controls Freak more geared towards Commercial since that is an under served area at the moment.

I still want to hear about all your projects though here in the Discussion Forums. LOL

Present!!

As I said in my introduction thread I am going to be focusing more on the residential installations through the corporation I recently got employed to. However I believe to my very core, and I'm sure our former Navy sailors will agree with me here, I don't like asking people to do things I can not do or understand myself. For now, and until I officially get certifications I can only provide subdual information if there is a place for it. (I.E. "Separating Hollywood from the real McCoy") but am also looking forward to sharing my experiences as they accrue.(Maybe a Series; learning along with everyone's cousin Vinny)

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 814ck80x View Post
    For now, and until I officially get certifications I can only provide subdual information if there is a place for it. (I.E. "Separating Hollywood from the real McCoy") but am also looking forward to sharing my experiences as they accrue.(Maybe a Series; learning along with everyone's cousin Vinny)
    Well good luck on the certifications thing... don't get too hung up on those. You know what you know and that is usually more than the next guy.

Would love for you to write up some articles about what you are learning along the way. Been wanting others, new and old, in the industry to write about their experiences and things they have learned. Use my Contact Form on the TCF site when you are ready to post something up. It can be fun and entertaining... doesn't have to be perfect.

if you could get rid of the time constraint on the forum it would be helpful!
    when i have a lengthy response or post its a pain to have to log in again just to post the answer
    I'm not anti-social
    I'm anti- stupid

you could also add an edit button beside the reply button
    I'm not anti-social
    I'm anti- stupid